Commonwealth scholarship is one of the ideal scholarships for many students, as it provides a lot of alleviation for students. The purpose of this scholarship is to provide this scholarship to those who are talented and meet the requirements. In this manner we can maintain our standard as well. No doubt for this scholarship there are a certain number of students who are eligible for this scholarship.
If you have the desire to study in the UK, you might be able to obtain this scholarship with your dedication and interest, because it offers the opportunity for up to 800 students to pursue postgraduate degrees at UK universities. Below is the complete guidance that will help you succeed in securing this scholarship.
Get to Know About Commonwealth Scholarships
First and foremost, it is very important that you have complete details of the scholarship you want to apply for, so let’s check first What are Commonwealth Scholarships. The Commonwealth wants to become the support system for those who are eager to study the UK, but can’t afford it.
This scholarship helps candidates who are willing for postgraduate studies with different study programs. In this manner we can support those who are future leaders and want to grow in their field. The major purpose is to support the British international development initiative. This is why the scholarship is considered the major scheme in the United Kingdom.
It attracts students because the purpose of the Commonwealth Scholarship is to elevate international students to new heights of progress, which means it aims to promote new talent from all over the world and help them succeed.
Related Article: how to apply for DAAD scholarship in Germany?
Who can apply for this Scholarship?
Most students have confusion regarding the eligibility, and they want to know who can apply. So, if you are a citizen of a commonwealth country you can apply for this, but if you aren’t then you can’t. But the refugee or British-protected person can also be applied.
If you are looking for this scholarship you must have an undergraduate honors degree. The degree must be greeted then (2:1). If you desire a PhD scholarship then you’ll need to have an appropriate degree in Master’s. Must remember that this scholarship is specifically intended for those who can not afford to study in the UK at all, as its purpose is to facilitate emerging students.
Also you can check the eligibility criteria for each scholarship that varies. All the information regarding the programs is available on the CSC website.
Types of Awards Available
I’ve mentioned the list, the Commonwealth Scholarships Commission offers, have a look at it.
- This scholarship supports to least developed countries students to enroll for PHD
- Commonwealth Split-site Scholarships (you are eligible for this, if you are from low and middle-income countries)
- Commonwealth Scholarship for Masters
- Shared Scholarships
- Distance Learning Scholarships
- Commonwealth PhD Scholarships (you can have it if you belong to a high-income country)
- Commonwealth Medical Fellowships
- Commonwealth Professional Fellowships
Commonwealth Offers CSC Development Themes Too
You can also find six CSC development themes, Along with the above-mentioned programs, as it has been offered by the Commonwealth and Development Office (FCDO), so have a look at these excellent programs too.
- Science and technology for development
- Strengthening health systems and capacity
- Promoting global prosperity
- Strengthening global peace, security, and governance
- Strengthening resilience and response to crises
- Access, inclusion, and opportunity
While there is not any strict restriction here, they mostly prefer those candidates whose studies are most relevant to their development criteria.
Related Article: How to write a motivation letter for a scholarship?
Financial Support Available
Students will be pleased after knowing that this scholarship is fully funded, and students receive all their expenses from tuition fees to living allowances. Other than this they offer allowance for your child which is GBP 465 for a month. Same goes for the second child the amount is GBP 114. Also the 3rd child get home country to UK with return ticket. Once you complete the degree.
Criteria for Ph.D.
- If you are going to apply for this you must have a master’s degree, and you can also apply for this if you are in your master’s final year.
- Make sure this is your first attempt, and you can’t apply to any other university for a Ph.D. scholarship before.
- Social science students must have a minimum score of 60%, and science students must have 65%.
- Candidates must be from a Commonwealth country.
- The age limit is 40 years
Criteria for Master’s
- Candidate must have a bachelor’s degree
- Make sure this is your first attempt, and you can’t apply to any other university for a master’s degree scholarship before.
- Social science students must have a minimum score of 60%, and science students must have 65% in their subjects.
- Candidates must be from a commonwealth country.
- The age limit is 40 years
How to Apply?
Step No. 1
In the first step, go to the Commonwealth Scholarships official website, you’ll see at the top navigation the “apply” option, simply click on it, and it will give access to the Electronic Application System.
Step No. 2
Now fill out the information for a Master’s or PhD in Electronic Application Systems, and then upload all the required documents.
Step No. 3
After filling in the information, you’ll see the next page, which asks for extra information, fill in these fields too.
Step No. 4
After filling this out click on submit. then it will take you to the application page. Here you select what you want to apply for.
Step No. 5
After selecting the program, it starts the application, clicks on “next”. On the next page select your country, and after that select your nomination agency.
Step No. 6
Click on Next here to see if the information is either correct or not, and click on next. Here you can fill in your higher qualification again.
Step No. 7
It takes you to the second stage of the career date. Here you have to write 300 words about yourself, after writing this, write a voluntary and leader experience of your personal statement, which shows your interest in the program.
Step No. 8
Then next rate your English language whether it is good, fluent, or poor.
Step No. 9
In the end, fill out the references and provide your email.
Required Documents for Commonwealth Scholarship
- You must provide a copy of your passport
- Provide all the academic transcripts
- You must have an admission letter from a UK university
Deadline for Applications
The deadline for this scholarship is usually in December, but check the Commonwealth Scholarship Commission website to see the dates for 2023-24.scholarships announcement.
Related Blog:How to apply for scholarship through uni assist?